One of my favorite blogs is “Church of the Customer” because they often have articles with ideas to improve your business and Jackie Huba just posted a great article titled, “Five must-haves for thank-you notes“.
… there are five must-haves for an effective, buzzworthy thank-you note:
1) Spell the recipient’s name correctly (doh!).
2) Thank the person for choosing your business. If they shared a specific reason why they choose your business of why they like it, reaffirm it. For heaven’s sake, though, don’t turn it into a sales pitch.
3) Include a personal detail about the recipient that you picked up on. Prove that you were listening. Humanity is a good thing in the antiseptic world of business.
4) Open the door to feedback. Whether the recipient provides it isn’t the point; it’s the idea that you’re passionate about creating a recommendable experience.
5) Be authentic: Include your full name and contact info — email and/or phone. Or a business card.